Thursday, May 3, 2012

Soft Sugar Cookies


 I generally try not to bake just to eat. I try have a purpose and place to send most of the treats- cupcakes for someone's birthday, muffins for the church office, donations to bake sales, cookies for parties and holidays...Soft frosted sugar cookies have been on my "to bake" list for quite some time, but I until recently I didn't have an occasion to make them.
As with most things I put on my list, once I finally make them I wonder why I didn't make them sooner. These cookies are no exception. They were a delicious way to end a lunch date with friends, tender and soft with a delicate vanilla flavor and just the right amount of sweet, spring colored frosting. 



Soft Sugar Cookies
adapted from allrecipes.

2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup room temp butter 
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/3 cups AP flour

Preheat to 350°

Cream butter, shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.
On medium speed add the eggs and vanilla until mixed well.
Over low speed add baking powder, salt and flour and mix until it comes together.
Chill dough for an hour.
Scoop or Roll into "walnut sized" balls, placing about 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake 8 - 10 minutes until edges are golden. Do not overbake.
When cookies are done let them cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and remove to a wire cooling rack.
Frost when cool.

American Butter Cream Frosting

1 cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup milk
pinch of salt
4 cups of sifted powdered sugar
Color as desired

1. Cream the butter and slowly add powdered sugar and beat until fairly well incorporated, mixture will be crumbly.
2.Add salt, milk and vanilla beat at medium-low speed until combined and then up your speed to med-high and beat until light and fluffy.

 printable recipe





Link: Foodie Friday